Horse and Carriage Insurance

Providing reliable, professional insurance services for your horses, carriages, carts & buggies

Insurance for Horses and Carriages

This policy specialises in protecting you if your horse requires unexpected veterinary treatment or for the loss of your animal. It can also cover carriages, harnesses and tack – you simply select the cover you require.

For a free quote for Horse and Carriage insurance which includes carts and buggies, please complete and submit the form below.

If you are unsure of the cover that you require or want to see if there are other options of cover available, please contact us to discuss your requirements. 

Once we have calculated your premium, you will be given the opportunity to purchase your insurance or save your quotation to review at a later date. 

If you wish to pay by direct debit instalments, please contact us by telephone so we can take your details and arrange for the instalments to be set up with Premium Credit Ltd.

Call us on 01206 337388 Monday to Friday 9.00 am – 5.00 pm excluding bank holidays.

Horse and Carriage Insurance

To receive your quote please complete the form below

If you are unsure of the cover that you require or want to see if there are other options of cover available, please contact us to discuss your particular circumstances.

Call us on 01206 337388 Monday to Friday 9.00am – 5.00pm excluding bank holidays

For a copy of the policy wording click here

Contact us

At Carriagehouse we always do our best to offer personal expertise and advice with the most professional service.

If you have any questions or concerns, or just want to talk through your policy, do get in touch.

Please use the online claim forms to report any potential claims and follow any veterinary advice with regards to treatment of your horse.

Our opening hours are:

Monday to Friday 9.00am – 5.00pm excluding bank holidays

01206 337388

*Essential information

Please view our privacy

Thank you for your enquiry, a member of our team will be in touch.

Frequently asked questions

What are the veterinary requirements in order to insure my horse?

The exact veterinary requirements depend on the value of your horse and how long you have owned him. As a guide the following is the minimum that applies but we reserve the right to request additional information if deemed appropriate.

New purchases:

Up to £3000, no veterinary information will be required.

over £3000, if you want veterinary fee or permanent incapacity cover a current 5-stage vetting certificate will be required

£10000 or over will require Xrays (see question below)

Horses owned and currently insured:

A copy of their renewal invitation confirming the cover provided and any exclusions attached to them. We may request a copy of your horse’s veterinary history if there have been medical issues during your ownership. If relevant a copy of their original pre-purchase vetting certificate may also be requested.

Horses owned and uninsured:

A copy of their complete medical history from all the vets who have treated the horse during your ownership will be required. For high-value horses, a current 5-stage vetting certificate will also be requested.

I am buying a horse and paying more than £10,000 – do I need Xrays?

Yes, in addition to a full 5-stage pre-purchase vetting certificate will we require a report on the x-rays of all four feet (to include the Navicular bones), all fetlocks, both hocks and stifles.

What is the difference between Loss of Use (permanent Incapacity) and Death Cover?

Death cover is where either your horse or donkey dies or has to be put to sleep on a Vet’s recommendation to prevent immediate and further suffering. There are guidelines agreed between the insurance industry and the British Equine Veterinary Surgeons (BEVA) about when this applies. Within your policy wording these circumstances are defined as:

Slaughter or destruction of the horse due to an injury or it being afflicted with an excessively painful disease, and a veterinary surgeon is able to give a certificate confirming that the suffering of the horse is incurable and so excessive that immediate destruction was imperative for humane reasons to prevent further suffering

For policies from July 2016 onwards: the Death cover is divided into two sections – a) when euthanasia is warranted in emergency situations and b) death from critical illness or injury necessitating non-immediate euthanasia.

Loss of Use cover however covers the grey area when your horse/donkey could be fat and happy in the field but is unable to perform the work that you require of him i.e. because of damaged ligaments etc. When you purchase Loss of Use cover, you need to tell us what the main use of your horse is.

Incidentally, a loss of use claim must be a result of a physical problem following an accident, lameness or illness. So for driving horses who won’t go back into the carriage following an accident due to being too scared but are still fully fit and healthy, you can’t claim loss of use.

I have a horse/donkey on loan. Can I insure him?

Yes, because he is in your care, custody and control and you have a financial interest in him. However, you need to tell us who he is on loan from, as the owners would be the beneficiaries if he died. You will also need to make sure the owners cancel any insurance they may have for the horse or donkey, since you can’t insure a horse or donkey twice.

I bought my horse last week for £2000, but I’ve been told that he’s really worth £3000. Can I insure him for this higher amount?

Lucky you, it sounds like you got a bargain! Unfortunately, from an insurance point of view, you can only insure him for what you paid at this stage. We work on current market values so the figure you paid for him represents his current market value. However, if after a few months, you have successfully competed with him or schooled him on etc, then we can agree to increase the sum insured because of his progress. This also applies to donkeys or carriages and trailers that have been subject to restoration work

Can I just insure for veterinary fees as that is all I am worried about?

No, you have to have Death and theft on the reasonable value of your horse in order to be able to insure him for vet fees or for loss of use.

What height jumping can I go up to under class A?

Class A covers you to compete up to and including BE90 and British Novice i.e. 90cm.

BE100 &  BS Discovery i.e. 1m needs to go up to class C

What level of dressage can I work up to under class A?

Class A includes training and competing up to Elementary but once you start of the higher levels of collection and lateral work you need to increase the cover to Class C.

I have been asked to carriage rides at the local charity fete. Am I covered?

Neither the Horse and Carriage nor the Complete Donkey Policy will cover you for giving rides. This is because when someone pays or makes a donation for a ride, you owe them a higher duty of care and policy isn’t rated to cover this increased risk. If you wish to find out whether or not your policy can be extended to include this, please contact us for a quote.

Paying for your insurance

There are several ways of paying the annual premium and these are as follows:

For New Policies:

1) You can pay on this site via Opayo (Sagepay) with a credit or debit card. This option will be automatically offered when you complete the proposal form or

2) You can post a cheque to us or

3) If the annual premium is over £150, you can pay over 10 monthly interest-free Direct Debit instalments.

NB: This is arranged by Premium Credit Ltd. You will need to arrange this by calling us with your bank details and you will be required to sign a credit agreement for Premium Credit Ltd.

For all other new policies, please see the methods of payment options on the quotation forwarded to you.

4) Or you can pay the premium by bank transfer to us.

For Renewal policies:

1) You can pay on this site via Opayo (Sagepay) with a credit or debit card or

2) You can post a cheque to us or

3) If the annual premium is over £150, you can pay over 10 monthly interest-free Direct Debit instalments.

4) Or you can pay the premium by bank transfer to us.